Saturday 11 February 2017

Industry/Expo Week (06/02/17 - 10/02/17)

I'm not going to make a massive post about this, but this was a massive thing organised by my college just mostly for FE students to help them get into the industry. I was the only one from my course that joined in with the events, which if I'm honest I think is quite shameful. Not on my part, but for the lack of interest displayed when all the students here, you'd think are all here for the same thing; to get into the music industry.

Anyway, let me stop myself ranting and talk about whats actually been happening...

On Tuesday, I went to a positivity talk lead by guest speaker Andy Cope. Even though he was in a bit of a rush to get a train to his next gig he left us with some eye opening thoughts. Not many people wake up first thing in the morning with a positive attitude and then continue to keep that same attitude throughout the day, according to his research surveys it is only usually 2%. Even I, myself couldn't honestly say that I wake up with a positive attitude and manage to maintain it, but I do tend to be and remain positive around other people. This talk really made me think about all I do in a single day, I am quite gutted that I didn't win the t-shirt though.

Wednesday was the "BIG" day, not only for me but for two departments of the college. The BA Film & Production students came up from the Adams building in the city centre to set up a live broadcast that would then be streamed to YouTube. The live sound was mixed by the two Andys using the new digital desk and used for the video. The music students became the talent that was the main quality of the show, alongside the interviews in-between band change overs and worked as really good showcase for all of the work the students had produced over the last few months.

The video is available to view here on the College's new YouTube Channel.

I had to play in two bands this day; one if in the morning and one in the afternoon. In the morning I was playing drums for the level 1 band that I had been working on and then later I was playing bass with the level 3's that I toured schools with a couple of weeks. It was a pretty intense day with all of the students taking part in performances throughout the day, there was even a performance from Pendulums Fall, a five piece metal band formed at college - after everyone else had played on their drum kit.

The only day left that was relevant to me was Thursday. There was a performance from The Sarah Knight Band mixed with a talk from their guitarist, also lecturer Andy Scoffin on improvisation, making irregular time signatures sound more natural when he wasn't showing off his guitar skills. Then finally, there was a talk from a member of the PRS about making money from music by collecting royalties, which for the most of us was rather like an updated in-depth Music Business lesson just on the subject of the PRS.

All in all, a very busy yet successful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment