Wednesday 22 February 2017

As One Project Finishes, Another One Starts...

Everything seems to be rushing along at the moment and it is becoming harder to fit in little things that are not relevant to college at all. I don't have much spare time with the level of involvement I've induced onto myself with the other students. Today, we recorded the final performance of a fifteen minute piece composed by BA student, Emma Cochrane after a quick refresher to remind us of the structure, tempos and it's changes. This is the second time we've recorded it officially as a performance because the last time we played it way too fast, over two extra practice sessions we managed to nail it (pretty much) after replacing the keyboard player for Nick and sacking the bassist and replacing him for acoustic guitarist, Kirsty.

It was great to get to work with those two professionally and use the practice rooms for a different means other than band rehearsals. It has been a pleasure to work with Emma too and offer my support to a higher levelled course for a change and in-effect stepping up. For Emma to teach me her composition, it has not only took my ability to read music and knowledge of music theory, but a great deal of communication and directing which is what her assignment is all about, allowing me a sneak peak of what's to come in a couple of years time. I don't think it would be as easy to view these kinds of skills had the composition been as short as the average pop song.

Now this has come to an end, it is now time to help the level 3's with there genre assignment. I think only have to learn four songs with them, they just have to be completely different and totally obvious that they belong to different genres and from what I understand we don't have all that many practice sessions to get these songs ready. First practice is tomorrow morning bright and early and we will be focusing on some jazzy stuff. After I will be practicing with the level 1 band and hopefully I can motivate them to run through the whole of their setlist. It's not long until their big gig now in the CCT, that happens in the evening of March 7th - The same day I have my Live Sound Assessment in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment