Monday 10 July 2017

The Play That Went Wrong

Last Friday, for the first time in years I went to the theatre to see a comedy play. I wasn't really sure what to expect as my dad had brought the tickets, so I only knew that it was going to be hilarious. We were seated on the second tier and as we waited I noticed some piano playing coming from down stairs. We wandered back downstairs as we had plenty of time to waste and I noticed a lady sight reading at the grand piano on the first floor. I thought it was CD playback until I got halfway down the stairs, hearing the acoustics thinking, "Oh my god, that sounds live!" I was quite proud that I recognised some of the tunes as well, including Misty.

The play started before it started (if that makes sense) where the guy playing the sound operator to the side of the stage, was asking the audience if anyone had seen a dog. It was good warm up in knowing what to expect and he went on to inspect all three seated areas of the Theatre Royal. Some views close by us suggested that he borrow their dog, but then went on to say it's sick. He then started asking people if they had a healthy dog that he could borrow... obviously for the show.

The play was full of slap stick comedy, someone was always being hit in the face, trodden on or knocked out completely. The first half was amazing and easy to follow, extremely entertaining. The second half, after I had had an interval of ice-cream was a little more difficult. More things started happening at once and the stage started to fall apart slowly, until at the end their was nothing left besides the framework the set was held up by after the wooden panels collapsed to the floor, ending with the smash of the chandelier (which I saw one of the actors pull the switch for!), fantastic show overall, just a little confusing at the end!


No comments:

Post a Comment