Monday 17 July 2017

Research Project Updates

So, today I originally planned to dedicate an hour to my summer research project in terms of reading followed by another hour dedicated to Bach harmony. Lets just say, I never made it to that second dedicated hour. My reading took me in a new direction. I noticed Thorn's repetition of the words "Authenticity" and "Artifice" which made me question everything I was truly aiming for and anything I have ever done musically.

I had already started writing my proposal, but without a title which I now have. It feels a bit bland, but it feels right. There is no question in my title which feels slightly wrong but, I've decided to go for "Understanding Music: The Artifice of Performance". I now have some topics I want to cover listed in a table of contents and have already included some figures for imagery. I have set up 15 pages for these topics and they seem to be in a comfortable and reader-pleasing order. I think for now, I will only reveal the title of this work so far as I still have some uncertainties and I'm feeling slightly overworked today just by dedicating so many hours today. My total word cord is nearing towards 1400 and I'm feeling quite proud of what I've produced so far, with all of it's emptiness. A part of me only hopes that it is not just all bullshit as I haven't yet referenced anything.

This is exciting.

For now, I'm going to treat myself to an hour or so of games before I have to leave for tonights band practice session with my new band, Robots. I'm still not keen on the name, there's just something about it being so simple that bugs me and I recon if we keep the name it could cause problems. Maybe I'm too fussy, but a band name is an important thing. If anyone can suggest anything any better, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment