Thursday 24 November 2016

A Tale of an Old Piano

I originally posted this exclusivly to The Piano Guy's Fan Group on Facebook but I thought it would be a great idea to share it on here to. This version is slightly edited to suit the stlye of my blog.

This is a photo of the piano we have at my college. It's old. I'm not sure exactly how old, but it was here when I first started in 2010 (not long then before I personally discovered the piano guys) and I'm guessing it is much older than that.


I didn't play it very much in my first year, in fact I'm not even sure I knew of it's existence back then. My main instrument is guitar and I didn't put much time aside for piano back then as I was trying to master my guitar playing instead, well at least improve it.



My second year was a little different. I started learning bass guitar too and slowly started to rekindle my piano playing. In my first year, we didn't have any pianists on the course, but that year we did and it allowed me to see how the two of them played differently and what stylistic I liked either performer.

Both were classically taught and I remember watch them both play amazing piecing of music on either this very piano during a break or another keyboard during a practice session. This motivated me to want to practice more.

Another thing happening around the same time was a lesson called Keyboard skills, which effectively basic piano lessons but lead and taught by our college professor. The only one with a doctorate/Phd in music.

He slowly became my biggest motivator. Not only did I recognise his intelligence, but in a way I befriended him and we started to arrange private tuition sessions within college when we were both free. At times teaching each other. We started with modal scales and eventually contrasted into general theory and then figured bass.
t was also around this time, that I generated A LOT of interest in The Piano Guys from first discovering them on YouTube (Late 2011/early 2012). I was so blown away with the quality of their work, their ideology and passion that I felt like I needed to be able to do the same and be on the same level as their talent. From that point I was hooked on them and I've not missed a video since, music or behind the scenes.

This became common and most of the time, you guessed it, we practiced at this piano. Because of his influence I started practicing regularly at this piano. At almost every opportunity (Unless someone else was using it). I still practice at this piano, but now just solo when I have the time. The professor is still in my college, I just don't think he would appreciate me chasing him about anymore now I'm studying for my HND.

When I first started back here again in October, one of the first things I remembered was this piano and it's location. I had to check it was still there. It was, but it was in a mess. Some novices had stuck note names everywhere on paper with sellotape. I would understand if this was a primary school for young children to learn, but this must have been carried out by 16+ YO's. So today, I finally decided to take action.

This morning I was that magic fairy that made the old Knight piano's keyboard clean again. I piggled off all of the stickers and brushed off some of the sticky residue with my Christmas jumper. There are still thicker bits remaining, but I didn't want to ruin my clothes too much. It already looks a lot better. Tomorrow, I may just bring in some trusty Mr. Muscle's furniture polish and a cloth and finish the job.

I love this piano. So many memories from last time around mostly from my second and third years and no doubt there will be some new ones for this year. Some of my class have already had a short jam with me. I feel like it's only my duty as a repayment for all good times sake.

I've sat at this particular piano many times through my college years whilst either being schooled or just practicing and now I'm back here again studying my HND cleaning the same piano.


I guess the moral of this tale are:

Always practice
Remember your roots
Find people that inspire and motivate you


If anyone can think of any more from morals from this I would love to hear them and update this post to include them.

No comments:

Post a Comment