Monday 21 November 2016

Beaten & Bruised

I have been learning to play drums now for about a month an a half and with my last few practice sessions I have noticed a few bruises starting to appear. I have a set at the very top of my leg where I have been accidentally hitting myself with my sticks when I have the snare drum set up too low. I have a large bruise on the outside of my right leg from where it has been rubbing against the the floor top and then to top it off, another bruise on the top of my right foot from when the beater of the bass drums hits me back. That was just from using one specific kit, the one that sounds the best in The Venue, but also kills you slowly.

The snare of the kit in The Venue is very well tuned and easily makes it one of the best sounding kits in the college, bar maybe the one in Recording Studio 3 that my lecturer Rob tuned the other week. That one sounded pretty nice too. All of the snares in the other practice rooms desperately need tuning. I would do it, but I don't have a drum key and I'm not 100% how to do it either even though Rob shown us. Most of them have tape over them to either dampen them or try to make them sound like they're tuned, which also stops the rattling sound, but just doesn't match the sound of a properly tuned snare. I can really hear the difference now. It's something that I struggled with when Rob first shown us.

I'd say that my drumming is coming along nicely. I'm starting to feel a lot more comfortable with the kit as a whole now and understand more quickly what sort of sound (or noise if you like) that I want to make. This is going to help me with my sequencing too because I will need to be able to map out drum tracks and knowing me, it's not going to be a simple "four to the floor beat" with the progressive rock track that I will be working on. I'm still undecided whether or not to revisit an old piece or start a fresh. I guess I have today to decided. I will have to pick out a sound to to then pick apart and talk about it's structure.


No comments:

Post a Comment