Wednesday 9 December 2015

The Day We Met Stuart Ashen!!

First of all, I say "we" because I went with my friend, Chantelle. I was a little too nervous to go alone.

On December 3rd, Ashens book was released through the help of a crowd funding organisation that specified in publishing books called, Unbound. I didn't hear about this movement until late into the backing scheme but, still managed to pledge a grand total of £25 towards the making of the book after it had already reached the target needed. In the end, his book had reached 434% of the target they originally aimed for! (I don't know what the figure was but, by the looks of it they smashed it!)


Shortly before the books official release, Ashens announced on his social media that he will be doing a book signing tour. I immediately got excited and book a whole day off because he said he was coming to Waterstones in Nottingham on December 9th. Which he did, he didn't lie.

So, the morning of the 9th soon came around and I was very excitable. I remember deciding to go to the gym first thing to wear myself out a little but, that didn't really happen. I did manage to have a really nice long shower though, to help freshen up for later. I blow dried my hair and everything!


The book signing didn't start until 5pm and I had agreed to meet my friend Chantelle in Derby at 2pm to then go straight into Nottingham on the Red Arrow. This was a busy day. We ended up getting into Nottingham a little early so we decided to "scope the place out", you know, see if there's anything happening yet at the book store. When we first went in it was about half past three. There were already a few early birds queuing at the front. I mean, literally there was five people. They gave us some advise though which was rather nice of them. On of them realised that we were loitering a little and told us that we will need to buy on of his book from being the counter. So, we did. The gentleman behind the counter was rather nice when we asked him about Ashens book.I think he though we were being a little awkward when we said that we would like to buy two separately but, never mind. He was a nice guy. He went on to tell us that he thought this signing was going to be a popular one even though it is hard to judge.

We decided to leave Waterstones for a while and then come back later, in an hour or so. Sorry, Stuart we don't love you that much to wait an hour an a half inside.

We ended up going for a milkshake in a place that I love called, "Sobar". Its a brilliant name. They don't sell anything alcoholic. So we just chilled out in there and sapped up the free wifi. We went back towards Waterstones at about half four and by the time we had gotten back there was already a que from outside and going up the side of the store so we decided to quickly join while it seemed still possible to see him. We waited about half an hour in the cold just for him to show and then an extra hour or so to actually meet him. Figures we should have just waited earlier but then it would have been over a lot sooner and I don't like that thought.

I bought a present to give to Stuart (as you can see in the video) wrapped in Star Wars: The Force Awakens Paper., addressed to: TATMASTER. which was written on a Cheff Excellence sticky note. Spoilers: It was fake lego. I will never know if he ever had the pleasure of opening it and throwing it immediately in the bin but, generally it was so lovely to actually meet him and I think its great that he still has a really good sense of humour in person too. I hope one day he gets on the telly all good and proper. He does need his own show. I know he's done the short Ashens Tech Dump series but, we need more! Plus, I find it amusing that generally the guy is famous for reviewing absolute crap. You can literally do anything these days.


No comments:

Post a Comment