Thursday 31 December 2015

A Year of 2015: Summary

For me this year hasn't been the best of years personally but, it certainly has had it's highlights. I can think of several instantly. I don't want to really mention the negative things this year as they are a tad on the sensitive side for me.

Lets start with the beginning of the year shall we? This time last year I was still working at Esso and little did I know that the site was going to be brought out by ASDA. As a team of workers we all found out officially in January and it seemed very good news to everyone on board, even Cyril was ecstatic. We just had to wait until the end of February for the official  takeover date and if I remember correctly the last trading day as Esso was March 1st but, only until about 9am. After that again it was a bit of a waiting game. Because we had to wait so long, my old manager suggested that we all work for him at his new site for week to help tie things over. That was an experience and a half. I'm sorry Daybrook folk, but you are not as nice as our Ilsoners, though to be fair I only worked the night shift for a week.

A couple of weeks later in the middle of March we all had our best welcome with Asda. That was a weird couple of days but, it was all very nice and relaxed. The first day we mostly went over all of the legalities and our personal details then the next day was more about the businesses four beliefs. From that point onwards, I was trained at the ASDA Long Eaton Superstore which we found out only just classes as a Superstore. We stayed at this store until the date drew closer for our little store to open up. The closer we got, the more occasionally we started to travel to Woodville to start the proper training. I say proper training because they are actually a petrol station too. It was a bit weird working in a superstore after all, I did enjoy both though. I managed to make a few friends in both of the stores that I we trained in which I still have on Facebook. We still have to help Woodville out occasionally, like for instance we recently had our Christmas meals at work so for everyone to be able to go, someone from the other store would have to cover.

In May I started going to the gym with my friend Chantelle and just a couple of weeks back my other friend Jo decided to start going too. I found out that my cousin Kerry is also a member so now it is a thing were we go together on Mondays. In June, I had a bit of bad luck as I had my first little accident in my car on a roundabout. I never did get that sorted out but, I think we both possibly learnt our lesson. On the plus side, I also got to see the Piano Guys live. That was definitely the best part of the year. I went with my mum, auntie and my friend Chantelle and it certainly is a night I will remember. for many years to come being such a big fan and all. I'm not sure if they are coming back to the UK in 2016 but, I certainly hope so!

In late July, our store finally opened. I remember posting so much about when we finally opened because it was really like the big wait was finally over. We had only been waiting about four months but, the excitement made it feel more like years. I made a separate blog to track the progress of the new petrol station which and the destruction of the old (which I'm quite proud of if I'm honest).

Since the new petrol station opened up, I didn't really do much else with the rest of the year (apart from meet Stuart Ashen, collect various figures and CD's and of course wrote a few more songs) although, I did decided that next year will be the year that I go back into education and do a University level course. I have selected a few courses that took my fancy and I have now sent off my UCAS application after months of preparing it and waiting on references. I am so relieved that it is finally sent off. Hopefully, this time next year I will be a University student. I'm planning on keeping my job still, but I'll have to reduce my hours to part time to be able to fit everything in without stressing out too much. I haven't really got much planned for this year apart from University later on through the months and I still need to sort out my finance. That should be fun.

Here's to a happy 2016!


No comments:

Post a Comment