Thursday 5 October 2017

First Day Back, Second Year.

Since I my body rudely awoken me at around 5am this morning I hadn't been very optimistic and I had surrounded myself in doubt as to how the day would pan out. I didn't need to be in college until, so I debated playing a quick game on the Playstation before I needed to be properly awake and out of the door. Maybe there was some excitement in waking up so early, but it wasn't very prominent. I had laid out my clothes and packed my bags the night before, so I didn't have too much to do and I didn't need to leave the house until after eight. I probably left a little later than I should as I ended up running across the road for the bus. I don't usually do this, but I would recommend it as the run resulted in a free bus ride (I think the driver was running later or something.) I was probably a little too emotional to deal with the kindness of the gesture, it was a good job I kept my sunglasses on.

I already had my headphones ready for the journey. I've been listening to a lot of Nicholas Wells recently, and Grand Ultra, that or the usual Green Day or Simple Plan. I was in town for just after 9am and seriously debated getting the bus up to Uni from Victoria Centre to Clarendon. I usually drive, but Goose Fair is on so I'm not used to such conundrums. It was a difficult choice, but I chose to walk in the end. It takes about twenty minutes if you don't stop for a breath. It's quite a hill, good o'l Mansfield Road, still all too familiar.

Naturally, I arrived half an hour early. I noticed while crossing the road the staff car park seemed emptier than usual. Normally, it would be full. It felt almost illusive to step inside. NCN logos still plastered everywhere yet, its now Nottingham College... Officially. It makes me wonder when they will let go of the whole NCN and Central names displayed as partnership, or if they could ever agree to that. It's odd. It's weird to be back. The department is smaller and if I'm too honest looking very sparse. One positive is that it makes it a niche community of creative minded people, for both staff and students. I sat upstairs once I arrived and everyone (that knew me) said hello; Rob, Andrew, Andy, Harry, Jacob. It was nice to feel welcome, but a little overwhelming and anxiety tipping. It wasn't until about 09:55am that the rest of my group started to show, Rob was second in followed by a new girl called, Melissa. She seems really nice and we got off to a comical start in sharing stories, I just wish I had been in a better frame of mind to build conversation rather than be cynical.

We had a long introduction to what we will be doing for the next few months. The two big projects at the moment are foley and soundtrack to video and some kind of Dub track. Despite listening endlessly today, I'm not sure I know exactly what I'm doing. Things are still being moved around to accommodate the changes, the Midi keyboards have changed colours and been moved around, but there are still no funds for new Macs. Admittedly, I'm quite disappointed. Not just because of the lack of new equipment, that would be unfair, but its clear that it's needed when there were so many petty technically issues today. These are errors beyond control of the lecturer, but when it happens regularly throughout the day, it certainly looks unprofessional and slows down the pace of everything.

I'm unsure what to make of this academic year, even though I've already been openly pessimistic to the other students, maybe even suggestively to staff. In a way, strangely I'm happy to know that my future will not be at Clarendon after this year, if what I have heard about the BA is correct. I'm still in the process of looking elsewhere and will need to review my personal statement before the end of the year. The current options seems to be NTU, DMU or Confetti since they aren't too far. I have an open day booked for DMU next weekend and I'm rather excited for it. There is a chance I could be going alone, but it will be worth it to find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment