Monday 9 January 2017

Nicholas Carol Nelson

Hello everybody, today I would like to introduce you to my new friend. I have been meaning to post this since Saturday 7th when we first met. We met by chance really. I got talking to a lady who is one of our regular customers at work just before Christmas. Her name is Carol. She mentioned him a few times, but then the next time she came into the store she didn't give him much recognition and I was unsure whether to ask not.

On Friday 6th, I decided to go into Ilkeston - my home town, after Uni. I don't usually do this. I was debating going into Nottingham, but it was like I knew there was nothing there that I wanted that day. This all happened on the off chance, usually I would just go straight home.

So, I arrived at Ilkeston and parked up just as the parking warden was starting his rounds. That was an interesting experience. I got my ticket and went into my first shop. I didn't really want anything, or at least I didn't think I did. I ended up coming out of B&M Bargains with a collapsable stool and birthday present for my dad... oh, and some snow bites that were reduced with it being the 11th day of Christmas. I dropped all of this back to the car and went on to my next stop. I didn't really know where I was going or what I was doing. I was very tired and was questioning why I had even bothered.

My next stop was a charity shop - this is where things got interesting. A familiar couple spotted me enter the store, followed me in and immediately got my attention. It was Carol and her husband. We got chatting and we talked about him, his cosmetic condition and his availability. Carol had used him many years ago for practice and even played with him in performances. She continued to tell me more about him, but I still didn't know what he looked like. We decided that it was time that I should meet him, so we exchanged phone numbers to sort the rendezvous later that night over a phone call.

The next day came quickly, I had not been this excited in a while. I was still trying to imagine what this handsome tackle may look like. I entered the couples house and then the lady introduced me to him. He was lying down on the floor with his back to me at first until she picked him up and held him upright. He was very well strung if not, a lot of tension. Carol sat with him at first to show me a few tips and tricks, not long after he was leant against my lap comfortably if not slightly awkward. The first date is always a bit messy. The bow did through me off a little, though I am used to the eccentricity. In the end, I won him over with a generous £60. He's still settling and not quite sure what's happened or even why his accomplice of 42 years has seeming just abandoned him to be passed onto a new generation.

This is Nicholas Carol Nelson - My Cello.

Our first drive home.
I think I'm in Love!


















All of the name choices come from names of those that inspire me or have made it possible for my love of music to grow. Nicholas - The full seemingly disused first name of Dr. Nick Redfern, a passionate music lecturer who has always fully supported me (also, it's Christmasy), Carol - The name of the lady that sold him to me and was fully convinced by her faith that he was destined for me. (Again. Also, it's Christmasy - Christmas Carol), Nelson - The surname of Steven Sharp Nelson, most famous for his contributions to the work of the YouTube sensation, The Piano Guys. An incredible cellist and huge inspiration.


No comments:

Post a Comment