Tuesday 29 October 2013

The Behringer C1

Yesterday, I brought myself a charming new condenser microphone. I brought it of someone that no longer wanted it and it came with a stand and cable. It was kind of an impulse buy, as I've been after a new good quality microphone for a while so I didn't exactly do my research before buying. The package cost my £35 and I have no need to complain. I had to collect it myself which wasn't a problem at all, it just took a while to get there but, at least it was only a zig zag away! I wanted to test it out as soon as I got back but, had to wait until I had eaten. I didn't get back home till after 7pm and hadn't had anything to eat.

When I finally got it out of the box, I was excited to get it all set up and ready with my mixer. I set up the stand first, quite low because I tend to sit at my desk in my bedroom. I had to screw the mic onto the stand with the swivel stand mount. It was really easy to set up and I never anticipated it to be a challenge. Maybe I did learn something in the college recording lessons after all, even though I use a totally different set up.

I spent an hour 'testing' the microphone yesterday night and it really is good quality. This morning I did my research on this particular microphone and on its own its worth between £35-45 depending where you look though, I noticed that Behringer also make a USB version, the C-1U that is almost identical to the model I own apart form the connection.

After spending a lot of time just messing around recording little bits and pieces and playing them back to hear the quality, I had an idea to make an atmospheric track using only the microphone and any other useful objects that were close by but, no instuments.

This is the result. Happy Halloween!


If you haven't guessed, I highly recommend this microphone!

No comments:

Post a Comment